Friday, April 2, 2010

The Handmade Dress




While at my favorite quilt shop in Utah recently, I found a little pattern called "The Madeleine Dress" by a designer named Samantha Caffee, from "The Handmade Dress." I had read her blog before, and she had tested patterns at an online sewing community I am a part of. I was excited to realize E fit right in the size range (6-12 months through size 4, she's a 1) and got right to work on her summer dress wardrobe. I made T many dresses through her younger years, and have so many pictures of her wearing them. Some were passed down to cousins, some were worn until they were worn out, some are still being worn as (too small) pajamas. This pattern is awesome to work with, and I enjoyed embellishing afterwards... this is Amy Butler's "Love" fabric, some of my favorite in a long time. The three red buttons are courtesy of one of the button jars my wonderful Grandma T left to my mom. I finished it last night, just knowing it would be too long, but it's perfect.

One more cute pose:



Here is a little fabric thingy that I'm going to attach to a hair clip.



I have another that's almost finished. It needs hemming, and the elastic needs to be secured with sewing, not pins... this one is the apron style that is optional on the pattern. I have two more in the works but these are my favorites.


Yes, she's standing on the table... so crowded here it's the only place I could get her to be interested in standing with a white background. :-)

Another fun fact, I looked up her weight on a baby growth chart today and she's in the 0 percentile for weight. 20 pounds, almost 1.5 years. She can still fit into some of her 6-12 month clothing from last summer. Funny little girl!

5 comments:

BarbaraJo said...

VERY cute!

Unknown said...

I LOVE them, "sew" cute ;P
I love making Dresses for Lilly too.

Salsa Mama said...

Ooooh! So sweet! I love that Amy Butler fabric, it's perfect for that dress!

laurice. said...

so cute! Wished I had your sewing skills.

Anonymous said...

It was so good to see all of you at church today and to have the kids in primary. J looks great. He's certainly been through alot in his relatively short lifetime. Hope the worst of it is over with. I loved seeing the cute little dress in "real life"! Hope you'll come back SOON.