Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The House

We feel very lucky and blessed to be renting from some friends of ours. They finished dental school here and are now renting the house they own to us. We love this area and now that we're moved in and settled, it feels like home.

I had requests for pictures, so... well... you asked :-)

The outside of the house and neighborhood, views from all around, you can see downtown Denver when it's clear, and the Rocky Mountains behind that. Behind us is... nothing. Just the way I like it. To the side, not much. Denver International Airport isn't visible but the planes are, and the kids love that.

D wanted to close the garage door for me but I was just snapping away and didn't wait.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Cloudy day prevents seeing downtown but that's the direction.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Backyard:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the front door and entryway:
Photobucket

Front door is just to the left of this stairway:
Photobucket

Entryway 1/2 bath and closet:
Photobucket

Living Room:
Photobucket

Large closet under the stairway, and garage door:
Photobucket

Kitchen:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Backyard viewed through sliding doors in kitchen:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Corkboard that I covered with fabric, holds calendar, keys, etc.:
Photobucket

Main level 1/2 bath curtain that I made:
Photobucket

I spray painted 3 dollar store frames and framed three separate pieces of the print of the same fabric from the curtain:
Photobucket

I don't know why they look crooked in this picture. D hung them so you KNOW they had to be straight. He probably re-straightens them daily, too...
Photobucket

Photobucket

J's bedroom:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Master bedroom:

Photobucket

We seem to have lost the pretty bedskirt that went with this set in the move. It's so puzzling, I don't get how you lose something like that!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Master Bath:
Photobucket

Kids' Bath:
Photobucket

D refinished this beautiful antique secretary that was given to us by some friends. This is now in the loft. I have before pictures too, I'll tack them on after I show the finished product:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Placemat I made for the laptop and mouse:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Before, in the garage being taken apart, just caught these:
Photobucket

Photobucket

This is a very old Singer sewing cabinet that my grandfather got used (he got several at once from a school in the 1950's while doing cabinetry work there), I inherited this one and D refinished it as well. My wonderful uncle did some remodelling of it to fit my sewing machine, and then D painted it and put on the new (my favorite!!) crystal knobs. I used to love sewing. Really, I thought I did, but now... I'll hem anyone's pants in the house whenever they need it!

Photobucket

Loft:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Upstairs hallway, J's bedroom door and laundry closet:
Photobucket

Girls' room:
Photobucket

Somehow I can't find the ones I took of T's bed and the pretty window coverings behind... oh well...

And now just a few cute shots of the kids playing outside with D:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Weird face E has been doing since she was tiny, now we ask her to show us her "Funny Face" and she repeats it.
Photobucket

We've been leaving T home with the kids a lot lately to run last minute school supply and house errands, etc., so we took them for one last big family dinner before everyone starts school, this is the largest restaurant under one roof in North America, called "Casa Bonita" in Denver. Think The Mayan restaurant or Rainforest cafe, complete with diving shows, all you can eat (rather blase' Mexican food) but you go for the entertainment, and it was definitely worth it. Never can get a good shot of E before the camera decides to finally take the picture though...

Photobucket

Photobucket


You might have noticed the piano in the pictures. Tender mercy, someone put it on craigslist for a pittance because she was moving in a hurry. Same make as the baby grand we had to sell to move to Cali a few years ago. She cried as we took it away. I have been in heaven with a piano in the house. All of us play...even E thinks she can play "Twinkle Twinkle." It's tone is gorgeous, good key weight, good feel, excellent condition, whenever I walk past it I have to look twice!!

And, that's the end of this neverending post!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy for you all. Good Luck to Doug!

laurice. said...

It's so cute! Look at you getting all crafty with your fabric! Well done.

BarbaraJo said...

Awwww...I miss you!

Sal-my-gal said...

I love Denver!

Salsa Mama said...

LOVE it! My favs: the aprons hanging in the kitchen, Jack's name blocks :), the curtain in the kids bath, the PIANO!! I can't wait to come visit.

Elder Romney's mission said...

You look so HAPPY! And I love your house. Im so excited for you to be where you are at even if you had to leave this place! Keep updating!

Rhonda said...

that's so great about the piano!! I absolutely LOVE Denver...it's just so GREEN and beautiful! (of course I have never been there during the winter so maybe that part sucks, ha ha) Also, we also have been to that restaurant! The diver was the best part...oh and the cute puppet shows. The food? Yah-not so hot. ;)

I also have one of those antique sewing cabinets I inherited but I'm thinking of selling it because it doesn't fit MY machine. I wonder if I could find someone to tweak it so that it would! Awesome refinishing job on the secretary desk! :)

C said...

Thanks friends!
Ronda, I had my uncle take out the hardware underneath and remove the board that had the cutout for the machine to sink into, and replace it with a solid top. I knew that making it fit my machine would be difficult and expensive, so I opted to just leave the machine out on top, also that way I always have access to the free arm feature and the hands free presser foot lifter. I was able to disguise the new board not matching it since I knew that I'd be refinishing it anyway. I think it turned out well :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are "home" and getting settled. Hope you had a great summer in Utah. We miss you here. Keep in touch.

Thomsen Family said...

It is such a pretty house! You are so crafty. You come up with the cutest things!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

Oh, this post made me miss you guys too much! Your house is amazing and immaculate! And I love your bulletin board and all the other stuff you made with that fabric. So Pretty! And the hutch! I didn't know D had such talent. People can surprise you! :) Miss you guys, but I'm glad you have such a lovely place with pretty skies in the background!

Lep N Deb said...

Looks great and sounds like you are all settling in. I sure could use a pedicure!!!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I miss you. :(