Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Sewing for Summer

Coral Skirt2

I saw a cute blog post in my reader the other day with a skirt like this one. I got out my scraps and made a bunch for summer wear, combined with Old Navy t-shirts that were just the right colors.

Yellow Skirt1

Yellow Skirt2

Yellow Dress3

Green Skirt1

Cute hairdo by T:

hairdo

Elizalegsup

skirtonfloor

This is a special dress I am so excited about. I had made a stack of beautiful receiving/nursing blankets before E was born, which now mostly sit in her closet. They were mainly Amy Butler cottons. They still look as good as new and I hoped to find a good use for them someday. This was one of them! The backing on this one was a plush minkee, which, after being dried so many times in the dryer, was less soft than it used to be. Sad waste to have that beautiful fabric in the bottom of a bin! I used elastic thread and shirred around to make a mini maxi dress (haha).

I have also made a skirt for T out of two coordinating fabrics from another receiving blanket, which she wore to church on Sunday. Pics to come!

shirreddress

shirreddress2

8 comments:

April said...

You did such an amazing job! I have never been good at sewing and wish I had that talent.

Elder Romney's mission said...

Wow you are good, and E is so beautiful, can I send my order for some skirts?! By the way any time younwant tomcome and bring your toe stuff you are welcome:)

BarbaraJo said...

You are so talented! You should sell on Etsy. Right...like you need one more thing to do. HA. You are a beautiful seamstress with gorgeous models.

Jill said...

Christy you never cease to AMAZE me!! I wish I could just whip something like that together for Lexi. She LOVES to run around in skirts and dresses!! You are so talented in so many ways!! Love you!!

Christian and Jennifer said...

WOW! I am so impressed! Those are the cutest ever and a fun idea for using the plethora of baby blankets that go unused after a baby gets older.

Christine said...

Very cute! I think you should write and post a tutorial on how to make the skirts and dress. I've never used elastic thread before. I have two girls who would look darling in matching dresses. Just need to figure out how to use the thread.

Des said...

Very cute! I cannot wait until this PTA gig is over so my "year of crafting" can begin! I have a HUGE list of projects and seeing these cute skirts gets me even more excited! :)

Sherrie said...

You are so talented! Those skirts & dresses are adorable! You're girls are lucky to have you making them such cute clothes :)