Why do we have empathy? I sometimes think it's strange that we, as humans (especially moms), feel so much for other people at times.
I'm reading a very life-impacting blog http://jacksonparkcity.blogspot.com/ which never leaves me without feeling like my heart has been wrenched open. But I keep going back. I want to wrap my arms around this woman and make things better for her. I don't think I'll ever forget her and her story.
But why do I have to feel it too? Can I not just read it, and think about her, and pray for her, and hope for the best for her?
No. I have to feel it. I think it's a part of our divinity as humans, we have the capacity to become like our Heavenly Father. He feels each and every one of our experiences and thoughts, and joys, and pain.
I was reading just today, and found myself dripping tears. I felt a tiny slice of her pain. It's not enough to sympathize. When we feel it, perhaps we're feeling a tiny slice of what Heavenly Father feels when he watches over us and sees us trip up, make mistakes, or when horrible things happen to our loved ones, or us, when we are hurting so badly it's beyond the capacity of words to describe. We must need to be wired this way to be effective as mothers, fathers, siblings, friends.
Sometimes I wonder about the pain of empathizing. Perhaps because I've felt horrible pain regarding one of my children as well, I have a place carved in myself to recognize and, in a way, embrace (own) her pain. It's truly remarkable how much it changes me as a mother to relate to other women who hurt.
I'm not complaining. I am a tough person. (Though maybe a little beat up sometimes.) Here is a quote that I love (that I found on that blog):
"Righteous sorrow and suffering carve cavities in the soul, that will become later, reservoirs of joy." ~Neal A. Maxwell
I know we have so much to hope for. I know this because of the Gospel. I believe we're learning to be like our Father. Empathy, as much as it hurts me sometimes, can prepare me for this. Many times I've wished that I could stop feeling, just to have a break sometimes. But Heavenly Father probably doesn't stop. I'm glad I feel.
No comments:
Post a Comment