Thursday, October 9, 2008

Wheelchairs, Kidneys, and More

We have had several appointments for J over the last month and I am feeling better all the time about getting him taken care of. We feel so blessed to have a good primary care physician, he is endearing himself more and more to us. Helpful and caring.

J will be getting a new wheelchair within the next couple of months, we're thrilled with this! He's had this one for 5.5 years and it's showing its age.

We see the orthopedic doctor soon, to get him braces for his feet again, so he can wear shoes again, so he can stop wearing out his special latex-free socks by crawling SO much. Shoes just don't stay on without the braces.

We saw the ENT and the audiologist a couple of weeks ago. They will do the tubes but think there's more going on with his hearing and speech and want to know why he still needs tubes at this age. They're going to schedule a sleep study (suspected apnea) and do the tubes, during the surgery for the tubes they'll evaluate the adenoids, and look for another structural abnormality that could be causing some of these issues. We'll be excited for him to not have to wear his hearing aid anymore. It's sad when we forget it and on our way to school, he panicks!

After his bad/not so good/really awful/sent-his-mom-into-half-a-coma kidney test reports last month, we were able to get approval to see a pediatric kidney specialist. The pediatrician was hopeful to be able to take care of the issues with perhaps a little help from the specialist over the phone, but the results stated that J's kidney problems are way out of his league. One kidney is doing 30% of the work, and one is doing 70%. This is not good at all. Also the ureters (the tubes between the kidneys and the bladder) are dilated once again. They were dilated a lot when he was smaller, but we got them to go down and thought we had this solved. This is a bad sign as well. We knew that he already had kidney damage from the severe infections that he got during his first couple of years. He actually had surgery to correct kidney reflux on one side several years ago as well. This news was quite a slap in the face because his last 1 or 2 big kidney/bladder tests have been at least satisfactory. We see the urologist next month.

Of all of his issues, we definitely feel that this one is the hardest to deal with, and would not mind him being kept in your prayers.

It is very, very difficult to watch your perfect child (you know what I mean, right? I mean this wonderful, smart, happy, brave little boy that you love more every day), have more health issues than you can count on two hands. He can live without walking. He has a great attitude about that. That's the least of our worries. (But I won't tell you I don't still cry over it.) The kidney stuff just really scares me. They're important!!

We're very grateful to have him and T. They are the light of our lives. I am so happy to be able to give them a gift of a little sister. They act as though I am doing it personally for them! They are so careful around me, J loves to touch my belly, T is always rubbing my back. (She's very good at it!) They are waiting patiently for their new baby. T, if you're reading this, I miss your back-rubs!! I love you!! I love you too, J!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear all this. Just when I thought everything was going ok. I too know what it feels like to see your child have health stuggles like this. I love his brightness and love for life. He is such a cute guy. We will definately keep him in our prayers. Good luck with upcoming tests. Tell him I say Hi and I love him.

laurice. said...

Poor little man....we will pray for him.

Jill said...

C - I think about you every day! We will keep J in our prayers as well you you and the baby! I'm hoping for Oct. 11 as a delivery date! Love you and hope to hear about the beautiful little girl soon. We love you!

Mom2my10 @ 11th Heaven said...

I know you worry so much about J. I got to spend the afternoon with him today! I want you to know that I made sure he had sunscreen on at the football game and that he was under an umbrella almost the whole time! Aren't I a good first cousin-once removed in-law to him? No, you don't have to thank me. It was a pleasure. Anything for my dear friends, C and D!
By the by, I am kind of jealous of you and D getting to spend all that quality time together. John and I can't even cuddle in bed because there's always at least one baby between us! And I know D's cooking is fabulous! I wish I was there to share his homemade lunch with you! I LOVE you and I'm praying that everything goes perfect with you! I know it will! Call me if you get bored soon. Love and miss you, C!

TheThomsen5 said...

Looks like tomorrow's the long awaited day !!! I hope everything goes well, and that that little one gets here safe and sound. You will be in my thoughts tomorrow, I can't wait to hear how things go. We love you and miss you, good luck !!!
Amy

Bobbi said...

We love you guys, and you are all in our prayers.

BABSA Romney said...

We are sorry to hear about J. We hope things go/went well for your delivery. What an exciting time. We will keep you in our prayers!

BarbaraJo said...

Congratulations! I heard the great news. I hope you and baby are doing well. We can't wait to meet her. ~xoxo