Sunday, October 2, 2011

Jekyll & Hyde, Marvin Payne, and one of my favorite people ever....

While in Utah in July, I got an invitation from my high school theatre teacher, Perry, to a backyard fireside at his home featuring Marvin Payne (remember Saturday's Warrior? He was the dad in that, he is a wonderful LDS and folk song singer and writer). I was wishing out loud that I could go. 1/2 hour later, D showed me that he had bought a ticket for me on my iPad while sitting and waiting for me during an appointment! Just an overnight, quick trip to see my teacher.

Perry has been a real guiding light in my life. Working closely with him in high school was the best experience I could have asked for. He loved his students and knew us individually. A couple of years after D and I got married, we took a vacation to Prince Edward Island, Canada (Anne of Green Gables land). We found out that my teacher was moving to Nova Scotia right before that, so when we got to Nova Scotia, we took our rental car and drove to his house and spent the day with him. What a wonderful day it was! We were with them the day they closed on their new house, a cool 1920's old house being rennovated. We had ice cream with the in Lunenberg. We saw the Blue Nose schooner, Nova Scotia's famous tall ship. http://www.novascotia.com/en/home/discovernovascotia/history/bluenose.aspx

Since then we have been in touch on and off, but I haven't seen him for a long time. He has since moved home from Canada and settled back in Utah. My parents drove me to his house where we had a mini reunion.

Marvin Payne's singing was inspirational and his commentary hilarious,I could feel my soul being fed.



MeandMr.P

MarvinPayne1

Perry with his sweet wife. I got a chance to talk to her a lot and it was so great to get to know her again.
SandP

This is one of my best friends from high school that also attended. It was fun to catch up.
MeandB

Marvin Payne2

Another awesome thing that happened that day, was that completely by chance another high school friend of mine was starring in Jekyll & Hyde, the musical, and we caught the matinee. His voice is out of this world, and the whole play was incredible. Considering I had seen Les Mis the night before, it is really saying something...

Yes, this was the morning after seeing the play and I was still not feeling my best, so another day on pain meds (I really think you can tell I am not myself in these pics) but so worth the trip. After the play the night before in Denver, I went home, got into the bathtub feeling awful, and decided not to go to Utah. I told D I wouldn't go, it wouldn't be worth it. I decided after much thought to see how I felt about it a short 4.5 hours later when it would be time to get up and get to the airport. Surprisingly, I got up and felt a little better. I did great the whole day in Utah, slept in the next morning, visited a lot with my parents which was wonderful, and flew home. So glad I didn't skip it, it was one of the best weekends ever!!! Thank you to my sweet husband who sees things that are important to me and tries to make them happen. Perry hugged me when I got to his house and told me I had really lucked out with snagging D as a husband. I couldn't agree more.

No comments: