Sunday, October 2, 2011

One thing I really wanted to do while we were in Breckenridge was go into the glassblowing shop. I got my wish. It also turned into a very memorable experience. As I was looking at all of the art, the owner and sole glassblower came up to me and said, "you have great timing, I'm about to make something." Of course I was thrilled. And then he asked D to be his assistant. What followed was an approximately 45 minute demonstration/experience where D made a beautiful piece with John, the owner. John apprenticed to learn glassblowing in Paris, France. This was an amazing turn of events, and I took so many pictures! Here are some of the best.


This chandelier was really cool to look at:

chandelier

These are some of the pieces on display/for sale.

glassblowingdisplay

Beginning the process:

glassblowinghelp1

glassblowinghelp2

Glassblowingdemo3

D blowing on that long pole, enlarging the piece:

dglassblowing

moreglass

Every step was fascinating.

watchingglassblowing

Others were involved:

blowingontheglass1

blowingonglass2

This is D holding the kevlar gloves in the corner of the pic. Right after this was taken, he picked up the piece and put it into a kiln to stay overnight.

glassblowtorching

In the end we bought some beautiful tumblers for my kitchen, and the artist engraved his name on them. What an experience!!

Dwithglassblower


No comments: